|A photo of the huts from the 1948 yearbook|
Each unit (known as a Quonset hut) had two bedrooms, a living room with a kitchenette, two closets and a bathroom. The units also came furnished with a gas space heater, a stove, and a water heater. Bed linens, however, could be rented from the government if the couple wished!
It was named Marquis Court after a former president of Coe. The huts happily housed up to 26 couples and 7 children (Coe Cosmos October 18, 1950) as well as a canary, three dogs, and a skunk! Over time, the buildings became run down and housed fewer students, so they were finally abandoned and demolished in 1960.
|A group of students and pets share dinner|
|Text from the 1949 Courier about the huts|