Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What do the librarians do all day?

Welcome back to Coe everyone!  The start of the semester has been very busy for the reference department, which is pretty standard this time of year.  Many of the FYS classes visit the library during the first few weeks in order to receive an introduction to Coe's holdings and how to best navigate our resources.  One of the activities that I have been starting classes off with this fall is a short activity called, "What do the librarians do all day?", which is a good way to get students thinking about the role that the library and the staff there have in their overall experience at Coe.  I have enjoyed doing this activity so much with the classes, I thought I'd share a bit of what comes out of it on the blog.

Many students believe that the librarians are responsible for shelving and organizing the books, a task that I'm very grateful to say is left to the student workers that help keep the library running (I put in my time shelving books in my hometown library in high school and am not anxious to be back on full-time shelving duty any time soon.)  Most students are very on the ball with other most commonly heard answers, which is that the staff is here to help students. Help them with research, help them with database usage, help them by answering related library questions, and the list goes on and on.  I'm thankful that many of the first-year students seem to understand that the staff is here to help them reach their academic goals, as that's ultimately the reason that I think many people go into this type of work; because they enjoy helping people find what they need.
On that note, please feel free to stop by the reference office any time you're having troubles with a research project, or just find yourself in need of someone to help you brainstorm.  Enjoy your fall everyone!
--Katelyn, Head of Referenc

No comments:

Post a Comment